Stay Healthy with Broccoli
Shared by Dr. Anthony Vasile
Broccoli with Garlic
Broccoli and broccoli sprouts are loaded with health promoting chemicals. One of these such chemicals that has been extensively researched is called sulforaphane. A broccoli sprout contains all of the sulforaphane that the plant will contain throughout its life. It is most concentrated in the sprout form and then gets distributed throughout the plant as it grows.
“Broccoli-based glucoraphanin/sulforaphane-rich preparations have been shown to accelerate the detoxication and excretion of potentially carcinogenetic food contaminants and air pollutants, offering a very attractive strategy for population-wide reduction in cancer risk due to unavoidable exposures to pollution”(1)
“Overall, although the precise molecular mediators are not always known, it is clear that interventions with glucoraphanin/sulforaphane-rich broccoli preparations in humans lead to diverse beneficial effects.” (2)
This recipe is simple, delicious, and nutritious. It is vital to incorporate vegetables daily into our diet as part of our eat well portion to health. It is important to exercise daily, manage stress and keep the spine healthy with regular chiropractic adjustments.
- 3 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of organic broccoli and heads halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons fresh organic lemon juice or 2 teaspoons innate choice OmegA+D liquid
In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the broccoli, cut side down, cover and cook over moderate heat until richly browned on the bottom, about 8 minutes. Add the water, cover and cook until the broccoli is just tender and the water has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic and the crushed red pepper and cook uncovered until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Season the broccoli with salt and black pepper, drizzle with the lemon juice and serve.
- Houghton CA. Sulforaphane: Its “Coming of Age” as a Clinically Relevant Nutraceutical in the Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Disease. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019;2019:2716870. Published 2019 Oct 14. doi:10.1155/2019/2716870
- Yagishita Y, Fahey JW, Dinkova-Kostova AT, Kensler TW. Broccoli or Sulforaphane: Is It the Source or Dose That Matters?. Molecules. 2019;24(19):3593. Published 2019 Oct 6. doi:10.3390/molecules24193593
When you are looking for a Chiropractor near you who you can trust, choose one who will not only get rid of your back pain, neck pain, or headaches but who will also guide you to living a healthier lifestyle to keep you out of pain. Our Doctors in Dallas, located near the corner of Mockingbird Ln. and Abrams Rd., will teach you what the research says about how and why we should eat a better diet, move more and have more positive thoughts. Choosing a diet rich in fruits and vegetables is the best way to eat healthy to avoid disease. So remember, Stay Healthy with Broccoli!